Friday 21 January 2011

Least favourite conversation of the week...

http://www.dreamstime.com/freeimage-imagefree336546
We're in the bathroom, Little Miss and I. I'm brushing my teeth, putting face cream on, plucking my eyebrows, you know, the usual things us women do to make ourselves look better. Little Miss has been watching me carefully. And pipes up with:

"You're not beautiful Mummy"

She may as well have driven a stake into my heart.

I nearly choke on my toothpaste.

"Oh, really?" I splutter. "Um, well, that's not um, very nice."

but I have to know...

"Why isn't Mummy beautiful?

"Because you haven't got fings on your eyes."

I haven't got a clue what she means. But then I realise...

"Oh, you mean I haven't got any make-up on."

"Yeah," she says.

And this next bit is utterly shameless

"But is Mummy still pretty?"

"Yes Mummy, course you are."

Christ. My self-esteem is resting in the hands of a three-year-old. 

3 comments:

  1. Imagine if they knew the hold they have over us ...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a terrifying thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh flower! you're the most beautiful person i know... :-)

    ReplyDelete